The fruits of chaos: How to spot emergence.
- A musician pays homage to emergence with a beat programmed by the random noise of raindrops. Updated Jan 11, 2017 ago
- According to scientists, life is like an eddy in the flow of chaos.
- No single ant has any idea where it's going. But their individual behaviors reliably add up to something remarkable.
Life is like an eddy in the flow of chaos, according to scientists.
Jeremy England, an MIT physicist, studies the idea that life exists as an emergent property of thermodynamics.
From a Nautilus profile: "Somehow, from the churning of blind gears, something like purpose emerges. The pieces, individually obeying nothing more than the basic laws of physics, collectively accrue function."
Thirty years ago, Nobel-winning Belgian chemist Ilya Prigogine held a similar view. .
There is nothing chaotic about gravity.
There's an ongoing debate about whether gravity itself is an emergent—rather than fundamental—force in the universe.
Jan 11, 2017
Creatures, cities, and storms self-organize, with low-level rules giving rise to higher-level sophistication. Entirely new properties and behaviors “emerge,” with no one directing and no one able to foresee the new characteristics from knowledge of the constituents alone. The whole is truly greater than the sum of its parts.↩︎ PBS
- Almost as soon as astronomers turned their search towards small stars, they found a bounty of Earth-sized planets. Updated 1h ago
- The Fermi paradox: If habitable exoplanets are common, then where are all the aliens?
- Research shows building blocks for organic chemistry can exist around dwarfs like Trappist-1.
- Thanks to networking at Standing Rock, Native organizers and activists are ready to battle Trump on every front. Updated 21h ago
- Trump wants Native Americans to open their oil to private companies.
- An overview of Trump's pre-presidential interactions with Natives is about as ugly as you'd assume.
- In advance of a full repeal, Trump's FCC is undermining net neutrality. Updated 2d ago
- Killing net neutrality would vastly strengthen the relationship between where you get your data and what you can surf.
- Repealing net neutrality may spawn backlash from the very trolls whose platforms the regulations protect.
- McCain is building a reputation for standing up to Trump. He also says Palin was worth it. Updated 3d ago
- Mark Sanford holds a marathon Town Hall session with the Charleston chapter of Indivisible.
- Exactly one House Republican has called for an independent investigation into Russian interference.