- This is what quantum physics looks like in real time. Updated 3d ago
- Researchers used ancient starlight in an experiment and still found quantum entanglement.
- Tangled up in q? Why our certainty around entanglement recently increased by a factor of "ten million billion."
- While Brazil's corruption scandal engulfs Latin America, Olympics stadiums get vandalized. Updated 4d ago
- The death of a Korean businessman slowed Duterte's killing spree.
- Trump is still embarrassingly connected to his businesses. Here's an overview of his most environmentally hazardous properties.
- Engineers and environmentalists saw issues coming for Oroville. Now a "nightmare scenario" is in play. Updated 5d ago
- Wild footage from a California Highway Patrol plane.
- As climate change progresses, expect many more Oroville Dam disasters.
- The conflict in Yemen won't be fixed easily, and Trump's botched military raid certainly didn't help matters. Updated 6d ago
- Chemical agents and disinformation were integral to Assad's retaking of Aleppo.
- America's longest-running war, full of nuance, demands patience to grasp. Huh.
Sinkholes swallow cars in Los Angeles.
You'll have heard the weather in Southern California is a little wet, even deadly. And none of it's going to help the Oroville disaster. But what got our attention this morning were images of sinkholes.
Mr. Trump causes severe distress rather than experiencing it and has been richly rewarded, rather than punished, for his grandiosity, self-absorption and lack of empathy. It is a stigmatizing insult to the mentally ill (who are mostly well behaved and well meaning) to be lumped with Mr. Trump (who is neither).↩︎ New York Times
OkCupid moderators walk through how they decide to ban bad users.
Computerized deletion of accounts using bad words won't work for an app that has to allow for a measure of risqué communication. Instead, real people make the final call, working through cases to ban fake profiles, abusive users, and even people who purposefully don't show for dates.
As social convention stands, I can’t walk into a bar and coyly ask a cute stranger if he’d enjoy being slapped hard in the face during sex. But on OkCupid, that’s essentially what happens.