The terrorists America should fear most are white dudes.
White supremacists operate at ease in positions of authority within law enforcement and defense.
After a 2009 report by the Department of Homeland Security identified right-wing terrorism as a growing threat, Tea Party backlash put the issue on the back burner.
But the white terrorists didn't go away. In fact, an Intercept investigation showed the FBI is increasingly concerned about white supremacists and terrorists joining police departments, which lack the resources and often the will to screen applicants.
Related: The Southern Poverty Law Center had already reported on extremists in the military.
The FBI stopped a Bowling Green massacre just before it happened.
Richard Schmidt gets out in 2018. Remember him? Despite targeting African-Americans and Jews, he's the guy who wasn't convicted of terrorism, despite his plans, motives, and arsenal.
As a sign of how big our right-wing terrorism blind spot is, Schmidt was only caught because the FBI suspected him of trading counterfeit NFL jerseys.
Not Muslim? Then Trump's program that investigates extremists won't look twice at you.
Under Obama, Homeland Security's "Countering Violent Extremism" worked closely with community leaders and web giants to surface extremists of all stripes. Under Trump, "Countering Islamic Extremism" will "target a faith group and cast it under a net of suspicion."
House Republicans also recently voted to make it easier for people in hate groups to buy guns.
- McCain is building a reputation for standing up to Trump. He also says Palin was worth it. Updated 1h ago
- Mark Sanford holds a marathon Town Hall session with the Charleston chapter of Indivisible.
- Exactly one House Republican has called for an independent investigation into Russian interference.
- This is what quantum physics looks like in real time. Updated 4d ago
- Researchers used ancient starlight in an experiment and still found quantum entanglement.
- Tangled up in q? Why our certainty around entanglement recently increased by a factor of "ten million billion."
- While Brazil's corruption scandal engulfs Latin America, Olympics stadiums get vandalized. Updated 5d ago
- The death of a Korean businessman slowed Duterte's killing spree.
- Trump is still embarrassingly connected to his businesses. Here's an overview of his most environmentally hazardous properties.
- Engineers and environmentalists saw issues coming for Oroville. Now a "nightmare scenario" is in play. Updated 6d ago
- Wild footage from a California Highway Patrol plane.
- As climate change progresses, expect many more Oroville Dam disasters.