Trump has a nasty history with Native Americans. The future doesn't look much better.
- Thanks to networking at Standing Rock, Native organizers and activists are ready to battle Trump on every front. Updated Feb 22, 2017 ago
- Trump wants Native Americans to open their oil to private companies.
- An overview of Trump's pre-presidential interactions with Natives is about as ugly as you'd assume.
Trump's actual plan for Native communities: Enable them to privatize oil under the reservations.
In December, "Trump advisors" told Reuters that the plan going forward is to essentially coerce Native tribes into allowing private oil and gas companies to access potentially huge deposits of oil and natural gas under or around their reservations. Empowering!
For what it's worth, the Bureau of Indian Affairs under Obama regularly did basically the same thing for years.
- Judge Nicole Chung concludes the quarterfinals with a difficult decision between two widely loved books. Updated 1d ago
- Alliteration, playful crows, and much insight in Miranda Popkey's terrific assessment of Thursday's contenders.
- Photographs from across the country of the Great American Librar(ies).
- "Will Putin expose the failings of American democracy or will he inadvertently expose the strength of American democracy?" Updated 3w ago
- Wilbur Ross just wanted to make some money in ethically gray areas (that should've prevented him from taking office).
- Jeff Sessions's spokeswoman can't help but continue to lie.
- Trump's assault on the environment begins with American headwaters. Updated 3w ago
- Don't just blame the oil companies for destroying the oceans—blame sushi restaurants.
- Nothing escapes the deepest trenches of the ocean floor. Not light, not nutrients, not pollutants.
- Crickets are your new favorite sustainable food source—but they may not have enough protein to feed us all. Updated 3w ago
- Attention, Earthlings: The fate of your planet hinges on the success of the Impossible Burger.
- Study finds that Subway's "chicken" meat is only half chicken.