Iowa Republicans think you're making too much money if you earn $10.10 an hour
The Iowa governor and statehouse, controlled by Republicans for the first time in a decade, are fighting to prevent cities and counties from setting their own minimum wages, pushing legislation that would require adherence to the state minimum wage—$7.25—across the board.
North Dakota lawmakers want protesters to choke on tear gas and get run over.
In addition to their "taxpayer-funded horror" at Standing Rock, North Dakota lawmakers are looking to pass all kinds of nefarious anti-dissent bills, including ones that would make it a misdemeanor offense to wear a mask at a protest, and another that would somehow legalize running over someone who's blocking a road.
The Koch Brothers—aka, elected officials who are not beholden to anyone—are successfully targeting workers' rights all over the country.
In many of the states now in full Republican control—namely Kansas, Missouri, and New Hampshire—Republicans are targeting unions, largely at the behest of Koch-linked groups.
“We’re not anxious to be in a state where they have that much political muscle, the unions do, organized labor does,” said Woody Cozad, a lobbyist in Missouri, previewing the Right to Work bill scheduled for next week.
(The bill is now pending Gov. Eric Greitens's signature.)
- Judge Nicole Chung concludes the quarterfinals with a difficult decision between two widely loved books. Updated 1d ago
- Alliteration, playful crows, and much insight in Miranda Popkey's terrific assessment of Thursday's contenders.
- Photographs from across the country of the Great American Librar(ies).
- "Will Putin expose the failings of American democracy or will he inadvertently expose the strength of American democracy?" Updated 3w ago
- Wilbur Ross just wanted to make some money in ethically gray areas (that should've prevented him from taking office).
- Jeff Sessions's spokeswoman can't help but continue to lie.
- Trump's assault on the environment begins with American headwaters. Updated 3w ago
- Don't just blame the oil companies for destroying the oceans—blame sushi restaurants.
- Nothing escapes the deepest trenches of the ocean floor. Not light, not nutrients, not pollutants.
- Crickets are your new favorite sustainable food source—but they may not have enough protein to feed us all. Updated 3w ago
- Attention, Earthlings: The fate of your planet hinges on the success of the Impossible Burger.
- Study finds that Subway's "chicken" meat is only half chicken.