- Almost as soon as astronomers turned their search towards small stars, they found a bounty of Earth-sized planets. Updated 1h ago
- The Fermi paradox: If habitable exoplanets are common, then where are all the aliens?
- Research shows building blocks for organic chemistry can exist around dwarfs like Trappist-1.
- Thanks to networking at Standing Rock, Native organizers and activists are ready to battle Trump on every front. Updated 21h ago
- Trump wants Native Americans to open their oil to private companies.
- An overview of Trump's pre-presidential interactions with Natives is about as ugly as you'd assume.
- In advance of a full repeal, Trump's FCC is undermining net neutrality. Updated 2d ago
- Killing net neutrality would vastly strengthen the relationship between where you get your data and what you can surf.
- Repealing net neutrality may spawn backlash from the very trolls whose platforms the regulations protect.
Iceland's pizza scandal just got worse and charmingly more Icelandic at the same time.
After much uproar, the president issued a statement, in both Icelandic and English, about presidential powers:
Unfortunately, the endorsement of fish over pineapple did not go down well. In the Icelandic, Guðni uses the word "fiskmeti," which translates as fish-products, rather than seafood. Apparently not even Icelanders like fish-products on their pizza.
- McCain is building a reputation for standing up to Trump. He also says Palin was worth it. Updated 3d ago
- Mark Sanford holds a marathon Town Hall session with the Charleston chapter of Indivisible.
- Exactly one House Republican has called for an independent investigation into Russian interference.
- This is what quantum physics looks like in real time. Updated 1w ago
- Researchers used ancient starlight in an experiment and still found quantum entanglement.
- Tangled up in q? Why our certainty around entanglement recently increased by a factor of "ten million billion."
The Long Tail of the Attica Prison Riot
The Attica prison uprising lasted five days. Some people have spent four decades living with the cover-up. It took a historian 13 years to get to the bottom of what actually happened.
Announcing the 2017 Tournament of Books
It’s been a long, turbulent sleep, but now the Rooster wakes. Introducing the shortlist, judges, commentators, and Zombie poll for the 13th edition of The Morning News Tournament of Books.
Albums of the Year
The Top Albums of 2016
The best music from 2016 meant more than usual this year.
- While Brazil's corruption scandal engulfs Latin America, Olympics stadiums get vandalized. Updated 1w ago
- The death of a Korean businessman slowed Duterte's killing spree.
- Trump is still embarrassingly connected to his businesses. Here's an overview of his most environmentally hazardous properties.
- Engineers and environmentalists saw issues coming for Oroville. Now a "nightmare scenario" is in play. Updated 1w ago
- Wild footage from a California Highway Patrol plane.
- As climate change progresses, expect many more Oroville Dam disasters.