The state of Obamacare in 2017.
Obamacare less popular than its synonym, the Affordable Care Act
Obama says he's happy to let Trump take up the healthcare reform mantle, even offering to let him call the replacement Trumpcare.
Obama came to embrace the eponymous act—which some labeled a blunder. But whether his fault or a miracle of the spin machine, Obamacare is much less popular than its real name, the Affordable Care Act. E.g., eighty percent of Republicans favor creating insurance pools, arguably the law's central innovation.
Republicans dither over how best to dice up Obamacare
Even if Senate Republicans seem to be mellowing on the idea of going forward with an immediate repeal, an enormous range of benefits are at risk.
Susan Collins from Maine isn't ready without more information about the replacement, but that isn't so much of a surprise as the fact that Senators Paul, Cotton, and Corker agree they need to see a replacement before repeal.
But don't hold your breath: Trump's specter looms so large above the whole thing enrollment has already started going down.
Universal childcare remains a political goal—and it's almost been a reality twice
Hillary Clinton's goal was to double the child tax credit to spur childcare, an important public health investment, "the most important investment in lifelong health and well-being."
Universal childcare was almost a reality in the United States not once but twice, once in the '40s and then again in the '70s. Today, it remains highly inaccessible for working families, with “childcare deserts” in half the ZIP codes in a recent study.
- McCain is building a reputation for standing up to Trump. He also says Palin was worth it. Updated 1h ago
- Mark Sanford holds a marathon Town Hall session with the Charleston chapter of Indivisible.
- Exactly one House Republican has called for an independent investigation into Russian interference.
- This is what quantum physics looks like in real time. Updated 4d ago
- Researchers used ancient starlight in an experiment and still found quantum entanglement.
- Tangled up in q? Why our certainty around entanglement recently increased by a factor of "ten million billion."
- While Brazil's corruption scandal engulfs Latin America, Olympics stadiums get vandalized. Updated 5d ago
- The death of a Korean businessman slowed Duterte's killing spree.
- Trump is still embarrassingly connected to his businesses. Here's an overview of his most environmentally hazardous properties.
- Engineers and environmentalists saw issues coming for Oroville. Now a "nightmare scenario" is in play. Updated 6d ago
- Wild footage from a California Highway Patrol plane.
- As climate change progresses, expect many more Oroville Dam disasters.