Jan 5, 2017
For people like me, failure is not being able to raise $100,000, and then when I go to angel investors seeking funding, they ask me if I’ve raised any money. It’s like I’ve already failed because of the color of my skin and not having my own networks to provide resources.↩︎ The New York Times
Failing upwards—the ultimate white privilege.
- In Silicon Valley, white dudes with money encourage other white men to fail, fail away—and all but instruct others to get the hell out of town. Updated Jan 5, 2017 ago
- No matter her recent accoutrements, let's remember Megyn Kelly's race-baiting tactics.
- Tina Brown's career shows how rich New Yorkers and Londoners fail upwards differently.
Top-level hiring decisions favor those who've been tested, even if their performance was crap
People associate failing upwards with public-facing jobs (athlete, CEO, movie star). This is less due to their actual job performance—though that obviously is an aspect—than the skittishness of those who hire them around taking any kind of risk on someone untested (even if they'd likely be better than someone who's mediocre but comes with experience).
This explanation, obviously, implicitly favors the white, the male, the straight, the wealthy.
- McCain is building a reputation for standing up to Trump. He also says Palin was worth it. Updated 1h ago
- Mark Sanford holds a marathon Town Hall session with the Charleston chapter of Indivisible.
- Exactly one House Republican has called for an independent investigation into Russian interference.
- This is what quantum physics looks like in real time. Updated 4d ago
- Researchers used ancient starlight in an experiment and still found quantum entanglement.
- Tangled up in q? Why our certainty around entanglement recently increased by a factor of "ten million billion."
- While Brazil's corruption scandal engulfs Latin America, Olympics stadiums get vandalized. Updated 5d ago
- The death of a Korean businessman slowed Duterte's killing spree.
- Trump is still embarrassingly connected to his businesses. Here's an overview of his most environmentally hazardous properties.
- Engineers and environmentalists saw issues coming for Oroville. Now a "nightmare scenario" is in play. Updated 6d ago
- Wild footage from a California Highway Patrol plane.
- As climate change progresses, expect many more Oroville Dam disasters.