Jan 11, 2017
Creatures, cities, and storms self-organize, with low-level rules giving rise to higher-level sophistication. Entirely new properties and behaviors “emerge,” with no one directing and no one able to foresee the new characteristics from knowledge of the constituents alone. The whole is truly greater than the sum of its parts.↩︎ PBS
The fruits of chaos: How to spot emergence.
- A musician pays homage to emergence with a beat programmed by the random noise of raindrops. Updated Jan 11, 2017 ago
- According to scientists, life is like an eddy in the flow of chaos.
- No single ant has any idea where it's going. But their individual behaviors reliably add up to something remarkable.
Life is like an eddy in the flow of chaos, according to scientists.
Jeremy England, an MIT physicist, studies the idea that life exists as an emergent property of thermodynamics.
From a Nautilus profile: "Somehow, from the churning of blind gears, something like purpose emerges. The pieces, individually obeying nothing more than the basic laws of physics, collectively accrue function."
Thirty years ago, Nobel-winning Belgian chemist Ilya Prigogine held a similar view. .
There is nothing chaotic about gravity.
There's an ongoing debate about whether gravity itself is an emergent—rather than fundamental—force in the universe.
- Tuesday's Rooster match is a battle of beloved debut novels. Updated 22h ago
- A rough estimate of how many books you will read before you die.
- The final week in the ToB begins! Five days of madness to go!
- "Will Putin expose the failings of American democracy or will he inadvertently expose the strength of American democracy?" Updated 3w ago
- Wilbur Ross just wanted to make some money in ethically gray areas (that should've prevented him from taking office).
- Jeff Sessions's spokeswoman can't help but continue to lie.
- Trump's assault on the environment begins with American headwaters. Updated 4w ago
- Don't just blame the oil companies for destroying the oceans—blame sushi restaurants.
- Nothing escapes the deepest trenches of the ocean floor. Not light, not nutrients, not pollutants.
- Crickets are your new favorite sustainable food source—but they may not have enough protein to feed us all. Updated Feb 28, 2017 ago
- Attention, Earthlings: The fate of your planet hinges on the success of the Impossible Burger.
- Study finds that Subway's "chicken" meat is only half chicken.