The Morning News (TMN) is an online magazine of essays, art, humor, and culture published weekdays since 1999. In addition to our features, each day includes our headlines, with links to the most interesting news items, articles, and oddities around the web.
At TMN, we believe in good writing, tight editing, wit, curiosity, making mistakes, and solving them with tequila. We speak through what we publish. If you’re new here, we recommend starting with one of the following:
- a chronicle of gambling addiction—about poker, Lolita, and how to lose $18,000 in less than 36 hours
- our profile of a longtime, elite LSD researcher who, after the government banned his studies, reinvented himself through micro-dosing
- our gallery and interview with a photographer who turns her camera on her catcallers
- our revealing essay from a postal worker on the daily trauma our mail carriers endure
- a Twitter IRL experiment in which our correspondent traded tweets for stamps
- a husband’s poignant and hopeful experience with in-vitro fertilization and its extraordinary highs and lows
- our leaving New York essay that isn’t as much about leaving as it’s about learning.
Each March, TMN also hosts the Tournament of Books, “the best literary prize in existence” (MobyLives). In the tournament, the previous year’s finest novels are subjected to a four-week, March Madness-style battle, and the winner is awarded/threatened with a live rooster.
The Morning News is not responsible for the content on properties linked to on this website, nor do we influence the content on those properties.
All content, including all text and imagery, that appears on The Morning News website, in its RSS feed, and in its products elsewhere is wholly owned by The Morning News unless where otherwise noted. Reuse of any such content requires permission of The Morning News and the content’s author, and must credit The Morning News for original publication; online reuse must additionally contain a link to The Morning News. For any questions about content reuse, please contact us.
The Morning News does not allow abusive, harassing, or threatening language in its commenting areas. While we do not make it a policy to delete comments, comments that contain such intent or language may be subject to removal at the discretion of The Morning News. Other commenting guidelines include:
- Keep your comments interesting. Weird, bizarre, or poorly written comments—especially those that are irrelevant to the post and/or ensuing discussion—will most likely be removed.
- Do not comment in order to promote your product or service.
- Do not post comments that you know to contain confidential information that may be in breach of the law.
The Morning News does not store, sell, or otherwise share any personal information about our readers.
This website uses browser cookies for the sole purpose of saving readers’ commenting preferences (including their name, email address, and website) whenever they return to this website.
This website and its RSS feed use analytics software for the sole purpose of gathering traffic data.