The Morning News (TMN) is an independent web ’zine, published weekdays since 1999. We strive to bring you the very best of what’s interesting on the web, from breaking news to slow-tempo analysis, personal essays and restaurant trivia, investigative reporting, weird headlines, and videos from every era of David Bowie’s career.
We’ve also published some of today’s best writers, and won numerous awards and citations. Series we’ve published have become books, and contributors have won big prizes. If you’re new here, we recommend starting with one of the following:
- a chronicle of gambling addiction—about poker, Lolita, and how to lose $18,000 in less than 36 hours
- our profile of a longtime, elite LSD researcher who, after the government banned his studies, reinvented himself through micro-dosing
- our gallery and interview with a photographer who turns her camera on her catcallers
- a revealing essay from a postal worker on the daily trauma our mail carriers endure
- a husband’s poignant and hopeful experience with in-vitro fertilization and its extraordinary highs and lows
The Tournament of Books
Each March, TMN also hosts the Tournament of Books, “the best literary prize in existence,” an event where some of the previous year’s finest novels undergo a four-week, March Madness-style contest, and the winning author is awarded/threatened with a live rooster. You can read more about it over here.
TMN relies on reader support to stay afloat. Visit this page to join us as a Sustaining Member or manage your current level of support.
The Morning News is not responsible for the content on properties linked to on this website, nor do we influence the content on those properties.
All content, including all text and imagery, that appears on The Morning News website, in its RSS feed, and in its products elsewhere is wholly owned by The Morning News unless where otherwise noted. Reuse of any such content requires permission of The Morning News and the content’s author, and must credit The Morning News for original publication; online reuse must additionally contain a link to The Morning News. For any questions about content reuse, please contact us.
The Morning News does not allow abusive, harassing, or threatening language in its commenting areas. While we do not make it a policy to delete comments, comments that contain such intent or language may be subject to removal at the discretion of The Morning News. Other commenting guidelines include:
- Keep your comments interesting. Weird, bizarre, or poorly written comments—especially those that are irrelevant to the post and/or ensuing discussion—will most likely be removed.
- Do not comment in order to promote your product or service.
- Do not post comments that you know to contain confidential information that may be in breach of the law.
The Morning News does not store, sell, or otherwise share any personal information about our readers.
This website uses browser cookies for the sole purpose of saving readers’ commenting preferences (including their name, email address, and website) whenever they return to this website.
This website and its RSS feed use analytics software for the sole purpose of gathering traffic data.