Trump's assault on the environment begins with American headwaters.
The Waters of the United States rule was created after the Obama Administration shifted through more than a thousand scientific papers to identify which streams, creeks, and wetlands were relevant to environmental health.
The rule was lauded as a big step forward for ocean health. However, few expected it to cause so much controversy—poor public understanding led to widespread perception that the rule covered more than it did, and it became a lightning rod for conservatives.
Trump is empowering new EPA head Scott Pruitt to undercut the rule, leading to fears that the rivers leading to the sea will be vulnerable to pollution.
Climate change is driving fish away from oxygen-poor regions of the ocean. And the oxygen-poor regions are growing.
At the same time that oceans are taking in massive amounts of carbon dioxide, they're absorbing less oxygen than ever.
The top levels of the ocean are warmer than usual thanks to human-caused climate change. That is leading to an expansion of oxygen-poor hypoxic zones. Fish don't live in those. Large fish, in particular, are threatened by ocean oxygen loss, with the Pacific and Arctic experiencing the steepest declines.
- The media narratives around prosthetic limbs are meant to be reassuring—"but actually using a bionic arm can really suck." Updated Mar 11, 2021
- Emily Raboteau watches the painted birds of New York's murals.
- The super-rich portray themselves as deserving of their wealth by appearing to strive hard—“a belief in entitlement through work.”
- Our championship match is decided in the Tournament of Books, with news of a Rooster surprise debuting this summer. Updated Mar 31, 2017
- In Thursday's action, Reyhan Harmanci sets up a colossal final.
- The Zombie round opens with Buzzfeed's Isaac Fitzgerald reading The Nix and The Underground Railroad.
- "Will Putin expose the failings of American democracy or will he inadvertently expose the strength of American democracy?" Updated Mar 3, 2017
- Wilbur Ross just wanted to make some money in ethically gray areas (that should've prevented him from taking office).
- Jeff Sessions's spokeswoman can't help but continue to lie.
- Crickets are your new favorite sustainable food source—but they may not have enough protein to feed us all. Updated Feb 28, 2017
- Attention, Earthlings: The fate of your planet hinges on the success of the Impossible Burger.
- Study finds that Subway's "chicken" meat is only half chicken.