The terrorists America should fear most are white dudes.
- According to the FBI, white supremacists operate at ease within law enforcement and defense. Updated Feb 9, 2017 ago
- The factions represented by Timothy McVeigh, however marginalized, are a bulwark of support for the new president.
- An actual Bowling Green massacre was stopped just before it took place.
White supremacists operate at ease in positions of authority within law enforcement and defense.
After a 2009 report by the Department of Homeland Security identified right-wing terrorism as a growing threat, Tea Party backlash put the issue on the back burner.
But the white terrorists didn't go away. In fact, an Intercept investigation showed the FBI is increasingly concerned about white supremacists and terrorists joining police departments, which lack the resources and often the will to screen applicants.
Related: The Southern Poverty Law Center had already reported on extremists in the military.
The FBI stopped a Bowling Green massacre just before it happened.
Richard Schmidt gets out in 2018. Remember him? Despite targeting African-Americans and Jews, he's the guy who wasn't convicted of terrorism, despite his plans, motives, and arsenal.
As a sign of how big our right-wing terrorism blind spot is, Schmidt was only caught because the FBI suspected him of trading counterfeit NFL jerseys.
Not Muslim? Then Trump's program that investigates extremists won't look twice at you.
Under Obama, Homeland Security's "Countering Violent Extremism" worked closely with community leaders and web giants to surface extremists of all stripes. Under Trump, "Countering Islamic Extremism" will "target a faith group and cast it under a net of suspicion."
House Republicans also recently voted to make it easier for people in hate groups to buy guns.
- Our championship match is decided in the Tournament of Books, with news of a Rooster surprise debuting this summer. Updated Mar 31, 2017
- In Thursday's action, Reyhan Harmanci sets up a colossal final.
- The Zombie round opens with Buzzfeed's Isaac Fitzgerald reading The Nix and The Underground Railroad.
- "Will Putin expose the failings of American democracy or will he inadvertently expose the strength of American democracy?" Updated Mar 3, 2017
- Wilbur Ross just wanted to make some money in ethically gray areas (that should've prevented him from taking office).
- Jeff Sessions's spokeswoman can't help but continue to lie.
- Trump's assault on the environment begins with American headwaters. Updated Mar 1, 2017
- Don't just blame the oil companies for destroying the oceans—blame sushi restaurants.
- Nothing escapes the deepest trenches of the ocean floor. Not light, not nutrients, not pollutants.
- Crickets are your new favorite sustainable food source—but they may not have enough protein to feed us all. Updated Feb 28, 2017
- Attention, Earthlings: The fate of your planet hinges on the success of the Impossible Burger.
- Study finds that Subway's "chicken" meat is only half chicken.